Industry: Financial services, tech, insurance, marketing, media
Roleshare: recruitment, top talent, hiring, flexible working, diversity & inclusion
Recruiting for hard to fill roles can be challenging, time-consuming and expensive.
These positions tend to be difficult to fill for one or several of these reasons;
- there is a limited pool of qualified candidates
- the job requirements are particularly specialized or complex
- (or) the job requirements is too broad
- a very specific type of experience is required
- the job market for the type of role is very competitive
Here are some tips on how to approach recruiting for these roles:
1. Clearly define the ‘must haves’ vs. ‘nice to haves’: It's good to be upfront about the qualifications and skills that are essential for the role vs. ‘nice to have but not essential’. Complex job descriptions may put great candidates off from the outset if they don’t think they stand a chance.
2. Network and build relationships with potential candidates: One of the most effective ways to find top talent is to network with people in your industry and related fields. Attend conferences, join professional organizations, and reach out to people you know in your network to see if they know anyone who might be a good fit for the role. You can also try building relationships with universities and other educational institutions to tap into a pool of talented young professionals.
3. Consider filling the role with two people instead of one: Why not bring together two sets of skills and experience to create a unicorn talent for your role through job sharing. Offering flexible working options also opens up a more diverse talent pool.
4. Review your compensation and benefits: Candidates for hard-to-fill roles are in high demand. Benchmark your compensation and benefits against not just other companies in the same industry but all companies recruiting for similar roles. Don’t stop at salary, benefits such as flexible work schedules, remote work options, professional and development opportunities can be just as important.
5. Get flexible with your hiring process. You may be creating bottlenecks with a complicated application process or demanding rounds of interviews. Can you streamline your processes and make applying more straightforward? Investigate and eliminate the friction points.
At Roleshare we are experts at using job sharing as a strategy to recruit for your hard-to-fill roles. We'd love to help you out. Our platform is free to trial for the first 30 days.
Set up your business account in just a few steps here (no card/bank details required).